Hand Safety & Injury Prevention
ASHT offers prevention and safety tips for a number of common activities that can lead to hand injury and trauma:
- Safe Cooking Tips
- Safe Gardening Tips
- Safe Turkey Carving Tips
- Safe Pumpkin Carving Tips
- Preventing Repetitive Strain Injuries
- Preventing Injuries From Portable Electronics and Video Game Usage
Safety and Injury Prevention Video Series
NEW: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a very common term to the general population, but with that comes many misconceptions of the correct signs and symptoms. This video helps to identify symptoms, causes and treatments for carpal tunnel syndrome with information from hand therapists.
Meal Prep Safety
Most of us spend a good deal of time preparing meals, from shopping for items, carting them home, preparing dishes and then cleaning up. As hand therapists, we see a variety of injuries that could have been prevented with a little extra caution and a better understanding of how to protect yourself. Take a look at these tips for meal prep from ASHT.
Many people spend the majority of their weeks in the office and/or working at a desk. As hand therapists, we see a number of patients with injuries that could have been prevented with a better understanding of ergonomics, specifically related to setting up their office spaces, chairs, computer monitors, etc. Learn how to prevent injury while working at your desk with these tips from ASHT.
Technology is now an integral part of our lives, and many people are using portable electronics such as cell phones and tablets for extensive periods of time each day. As hand therapists, we see a large number of patients with injuries that could have been prevented with a little bit of understanding. Protect your hands and upper extremity while using portable electronics with these tips from ASHT.
As hand therapists, we see a large number of patients with injuries that could have been prevented with a little bit of understanding and forethought. Protect your hands and upper extremity while gardening with these tips from ASHT.
View some of ASHT's latest contributions to the HandCare.org blog:
- Leash/Pet Walking Safety
- Gardening Safety
- Snow Removal Tips
- Protecting Your Joints
- Tips to Avoid Common Holiday Injuries
- Cervical Radiculopathy (not all hand numbness is carpal tunnel syndrome)
- Football Hand Injuries
- Backpack Awareness (pack it light -- wear it right!)
- Pumpkin Carving Without Knives (modifications for safe holiday fun)
- Upper Extremiy Prosthetics (the latest developments in prosthetics)
- Desk Posture (simple exercises to prevent issues)
- FOOSH (fall on the outstretched hand -- hoverboard injuries and beyond)
- Central Sensitization (why do I still have pain?)
- Mallet Finger (my finger won't straighten anymore)