Mary Kasch Scholarship
Purpose of the Award
The Mary Kasch Hand Therapy Certification Scholarship provides opportunities for professional development by providing financial support to an OT/PT interested in pursuing certification in hand therapy.
The scholarship amount will be a total value equivalent to $1,500 and distributed as follows:
- ASHT will offer each year one or more of its many continuing education offerings for this scholarship. The ASHT contribution will include registration fees only, not exceeding $500 combined.
- HTCC will offer the CHT Examination fee and access to the Hand Therapy Resource Center for this scholarship. This is a combined value of $600.
- The award recipient may use the remaining amount, after ASHT and HTCC’s contributions, to purchase study materials, attend courses and to be reimbursed for travel-related expenses for the exam or continuing education courses. The award recipient will submit receipts to AHTF for reimbursement.
Breakdown of Funding
- ASHT continuing education - $500 value
- CHT Exam fee - $500 value
- Hand Therapy Resource Center subscription - $100 value
- Reimbursement for exam and study-related expenses - $400 to be distributed by the AHTF
The award candidate must meet HTCC’s general examination eligibility requirements or be eligible to meet the certification requirements by the time the exam registration is due. Applicants must plan to sit for the November 2017 or May 2018 examination.
HTCC’s general examination eligibility requirements:
- The candidate must be an occupational therapist or physical therapist with a current professional credential.
- The candidate must be certified or licensed as an OT or PT for a minimum of three years, based on date of issue of the certificate or license.
- The candidate must have accrued a minimum of 4,000 hours of direct practice experience in hand therapy.
An essay will be required by the candidates to answer the question: “Why do you want to become a CHT?” (1-2 paragraphs - 100-word maximum)
The selection criterion is based on professional involvement in order to assess the candidate’s earnestness toward professional development.
- January - application available on ASHT, HTCC and AHTF websites
- March 1 - application due
- June 1 - notify recipient
- September-October - announcement and receipt of reward at ASHT Annual Meeting
The award will be presented annually at the ASHT Annual Meeting along with other award announcements.
Proudly supported by the Hand Therapy Tri-Alliance