Hand Therapy Review Course
2018 Baltimore Hand Therapy Review Course
Friday, October 5 - Sunday, October 7, 2018
Curtis National Hand Center at MedStar Union Memorial Hospital
* Please note that the Baltimore course is sold out (both three-day and two-day options) and we are no longer accepting names for a waiting list.
2019 Hand Therapy Review Course - Save the Dates
February 8-10, 2019: Irvine, CA
April 12-14, 2019: St. Louis, MO
June 2019: Atlanta, GA
Setpember/October 2019: Baltimore, MD
The ASHT Hand Therapy Review Course provides a comprehensive review of the evaluation and intervention processes pursued for typical diagnoses in upper extremity rehabilitation. Particular focus is placed on clinical reasoning, case discussion and evidence-based practice.
The course provides an opportunity for active learning and application of hand therapy principles to facilitate retention of presented information. The course also offers a structured study approach to upper extremity rehabilitation that may serve as a means to prepare for the CHT Exam.
General Course Outline
Day 1: Foundational Science of the Upper Extremity: Anatomy and Kinesiology Review
A working knowledge of the anatomy and kinesiology of the upper extremity provides a solid foundation for therapeutic evaluation and intervention. Using classroom-lecture format and cadaver lab components, this pre-course will review the anatomy and biomechanics of each joint, examine the brachial plexus and innervation patterns of the arm and hand and allow for guided review using upper quarter cadaveric specimens.
Note: Cadaver lab sessions offered at the St. Louis and Baltimore course sites only.
- To identify the foundational science and anatomical concepts which inform effective clinical decision-making and practice in upper extremity rehabilitation.
- To differentiate the biomechanical aspects of normal and abnormal motion as influenced by the musculoskeletal system of the upper extremity.
- To identify various key anatomical structures within the upper quarter which may be involved in a a variety of pathologies. This will be facilitated by an opportunity for kinesthetc learning through examination of cadaveric specimens.
Days 2 & 3: Comprehensive Survey of Hand Therapy Review Course
This course is designed to provide a comprehensive review of the evaluation and intervention processes pursued for typical diagnoses in upper extremity rehabilitation. Advanced clinicians will employ fundamental concepts, clinical reasoning, and evidence to provide a multi-faceted approach to the hand therapy process. Adjunctive methods for intervention will be analyzed as a means to facilitate outcomes, and an expert panel will be offered on Day 2 during the review questions segment to allow a high level of attendee-faculty interaction via case discussion.
- To recognize key assessment and treatment tenets of hand therapy practice with particular focus on clinical reasoning, case discussion and evidence-based practice.
- To identify appropriate plans of care for a variety of diagnoses including but not limited to fractures, tendon injuries, arthritic conditions, peripheral nerve injuries and complex multi system injuries within the upper extremity.
- To identify appropriate orthosis utilization for a variety of diagnoses within the upper extremity.
Preparing for the CHT Exam?
The Mary Kasch Hand Therapy Certification Scholarship is a financial scholarship awarded to a well-deserving occupational therapist or physical therapist preparing for the Hand Therapy Certification Examination.
Proudly supported by the Hand Therapy Tri-Alliance