Live Journal Club
Journal Club Schedule
Student-Led Journal club
The ASHT Research Division is proud to offer a Journal Club for students! The Student-Led Journal Club is designed to involve and educate students on appraising the current literature as it relates to the hand and upper extremity.
The process is simple:
ASHT members are invited to join the ASHT Journal Club. The Journal Club is the official online forum for the Journal of Hand Therapy. Members earn one free continuing education hour for participating in each one-hour Journal Club chat.
Registration is required for the Journal Club. The chat is free for members.
To participate in the Journal Club, members may register by clicking the Register button shown above prior to the live chat. Upon registering, you will receive an email within 15-20 minutes with a link to access the chat, so please monitor your inbox and/or spam folders for this communication.
Important Information on How to Register
When registering, please be certain you complete the entire online registration process to ensure you are indeed registered. Upon successfully registering, you will receive a registration confirmation email containing the chatroom login information within 15-20 minutes. If you do not receive a confirmation email and have checked your spam folder, you are not registered and need to go back and carefully complete the registration process again.
Upon completion of the ASHT online Journal Club, the learner will:
- Find the established research question(s) and identify the rationale for the question(s).
- Define the purpose(s) of the article as described by the author(s).
- Classify the evidence level of the article according to Sackett's hierarchy.
- Identify the application of the author’s conclusion to clinical practice.
- Identify the limitations of the article’s outcome as it applies to the existing body of evidence and to clinical practice.
In order to participate in the Journal Club chat, members must access their Journal of Hand Therapy membership to retrieve articles that are being discussed each month.
To do so, please visit www.asht.org/journal and access your monthly articles as shown below:
Introduction and Standard Questions
In an effort to improve participation and productivity, we have created five standard questions that will be used for each monthly Journal Club chat. The five questions will be the same each month. The questions are as follows:
- What is the research topic/problem?
- What is the purpose of the study?
- What is the level of evidence? What qualifies it to be that level?
- What were the results of the study?
- Will this change your practice? Why or why not and how?
Post-Chat Quiz & CE Certificate
- All participants will be required to complete a five-question quiz to meet the requirement for assessment of learning outcomes.
- You will be able to download and print your CE certificate immediately upon passing the online quiz.