Service Unites: National Volunteer Week
The designation of a week to recognize the contribution of volunteers was established in 1974 by President Nixon as a way to celebrate the spirit and accomplishments of volunteers throughout the United States. For the past 40 years, ASHT volunteers have exemplified the selfless volunteer spirit as they have worked to expand our professional resources and community.
One of the things that makes the quality, quantity and breadth of ASHT offerings so remarkable is that we are a volunteer-led organization! In honor of National Volunteer Week, it is an honor to take this opportunity to say thank you to the volunteer members who lend their talents to this organization. ASHT programs and publications, advocacy efforts, dissemination of research and resources devoted to support professional practice are all organized by our incredible volunteers.
Here are a few examples:
- Educational courses including Hand Therapy Review Course and Hands On Orthotics
- Publications including Clinical Assessment Recommendations, 3rd ed. and Test Prep for the CHT Exam, 3rd ed.
- Monthly Journal Club, Research Updates and webinars
- Patient Education Resources
- Mentoring program (coming very soon!)
- Practice advocacy including legislation monitoring, reimbursement resources and organization of the Legislative Action Center on our website
- Annual Meeting organization, abstract review and event planning
- ASHT Times member magazine, filled with clinical articles and important updates
- Hand therapy awareness initiatives, including a new promotional video to be released in honor of Hand Therapy Week
- Educational blogs for ASSH
- Member practice support and continuous improvement efforts
As I attend conference calls of the different ASHT committees and divisions throughout the year, I continue to be in awe of the devotion and hard work put forward by all of our ASHT volunteers. As president of this organization, I am honored to have the opportunity to support all of your efforts.
For those of you looking for opportunities to volunteer, we welcome you! It is hard for me to imagine what life would be like if I had not taken that first step and volunteered for the Education Division. The time spent volunteering in this organization is incredibly rewarding, and I urge you to contact us and lend your talents. I can guarantee that the personal and professional rewards are more than worth the time and effort.
Thank You for Serving ASHT!
Gary S. Solomon, MBA, MS, OTR/L, CHT
2016-2017 ASHT President