Important Information on How to Register
When registering, please be certain that you complete the entire online registration process to ensure that you are indeed registered. Upon successfully registering, you will receive a registration confirmation email within 15 to 20 minutes, containing the session log-in information. If you do not receive a confirmation email and have checked your Spam folder, then you are not registered and need to go back and carefully complete the registration process again.
Peripheral Nerve Injuries: Chronic Pain
Date: April 17, 2019
Time: 6:00 PM PT / 7:00 PM MT / 8:00 PM CT / 9:00 PM ET
Deadline to register: April 17 at 3:00 PM ET
Presented by: Susanne Higgins, OTD, OTR/L, CHT
Free to ASHT members, but registration is required
At the end of the presentation, participants will be able to:
Peripheral Nerve Injuries
- Correctly identify nerve innervations for upper extremity musculature.
- Identify classification of nerve injuries.
- Identify phases of nerve regeneration and repair techniques.
- Identify presentation of nerve injuries.
- Recognize treatment interventions to avoid secondary impairments and/or protect after surgical repair.
- Understand signs and symptoms of CRPS/RSD.
- Identify appropriate treatment interventions.
Attendees earn 1 continuing education hour/0.1 CEU for this course.
* Please note that only those individuals who register for the session will receive the handout and quiz for CE credit. The recording is available to all ASHT members.
The required readings for this course are:
Rehabilitation of the Hand and Upper Extremity (6th ed.). Skirven, T. M., Osterman, A. L., Fedorczyk, J. M., Amadio, P. C. (Eds.).(2011). Philadelphia, PA: Mosby. ISBN: 978-0-323-05602-1
Review Chapters 42, 45, 46, 47, 49, 52 (Perhipheral Nerve Injuries)
Review Chapters 115, 116 (Chronic Pain)
View Video: 116-1 "Movement dystonia associated with CRPS (Walsh 2010) (Chronic Pain)
*Note: The video is online content. When you access the book, “Rehabilitation of the Hand and Upper Extremity,” information on how to access the videos is located inside the cover.
Fundamentals of Hand Therapy (2nd ed.). Cooper, C. (Ed.).(2014). St. Louis, MS: Mosby.
Review Chapters 2 (pp. 19-21); Chapter 24 (pp. 272-311) (Peripheral Nerve Injuries)
Review Chapter 12 (pp. 145-150) (Chronic Pain)
Post-Session UE Institute E-Community Q&A
After each live session, The UE Institute E-Community will host questions and answers sessions related to each monthly online session as well as general information and communication exchanges for novice hand therapists to advance their professional career and/or their preparation for the CHT exam.