Presenters: Mike Cricchio, MBA, OTR/L, CHT
Format: 45 minutes presentation. 15 minutes Q&A
This presentation will review current literature relating to scapulothoracic and glenohumeral conditioning exercises. The author will assist occupational and physical therapists in prioritizing exercises for a shoulder conditioning program based on a narrative review of twenty-two electromyographical (EMG) studies of the shoulder. The review of these articles will outline an evidence-based approach to conditioning the shoulder girdle based on anatomy, biomechanics, and EMG studies of the shoulder.
At the end of the presentation, participants will be able to:
- Recite the role and function of the rotator cuff and periscapular muscles.
- Understand how to design a shoulder exercise program that yields a balance between rotator cuff and periscapular strength.
- Create a custom, diagnoses-based, shoulder exercise program that yields a balance between rotator cuff and periscapular strength.
- Break down the components of scapula dysfunction and implement corrective exercise prescription.
- Verbally support and justify clinical rationale for the selection of rotator cuff and periscapular exercise.
* The ASHT Webinar Committee conducts an audit of webinars to ensure that the content is keeping up with the latest science and research. Please note that this webinar may be updated in the future. At that time, the purchased webinar will no longer be available for view.