Susanne Higgins, OTD, OTR/L, CHT
At the end of the presentation, participants will be able to:
- Correctly identify nerve innervations for upper extremity musculature.
- Identify classification of nerve injuries.
- Identify phases of nerve regeneration and repair techniques.
- Identify presentation of nerve injuries.
- Recognize treatment interventions to avoid secondary impairments and/or protect after surgical repair.
- Understand signs and symptoms of CRPS/RSD.
- Identify appropriate treatment interventions.
Duration: One hour
CE Credit: 1 continuing education hour, or 0.1 CEU
The required readings for this course are:
Rehabilitation of the Hand and Upper Extremity (6th ed.). Skirven, T. M., Osterman, A. L., Fedorczyk, J. M., Amadio, P. C. (Eds.). (2011). Philadelphia, PA: Mosby. ISBN: 978-0-323-05602-1
- Review Chapters: 42, 45, 46, 47, 49, 52 (PNI); 115, 116 (Chronic Pain)
Fundamentals of Hand Therapy (2nd ed.). Cooper, C. (Ed.). (2014). St. Louis, MO: Mosby.
- Review Chapters 2 (pp. 19-21); 24 (pp. 272-311) (PNI); 12 (pp. 145-150) (Chronic Pain)
- Video 116-1 Movement dystonia associated with CRPS (Walsh 2010)