Presented by Romina Astifidis, MS, PT, CHT
At the end of the presentation, participants will be able to:
- Identify the anatomy of the flexor tendons and extensor tendons from origin to insertion and describe function of each.
- Correctly identify flexor tendon zones and extensor tendon zones and importance for rehabilitation.
- Recognize the biomechanical importance of the flexor pulley system and the extensor mechanism.
- Correctly evaluate following injury or surgery.
- Recognize a basic understanding of surgical technique used to repair tendons in regards to suture technique, placement and strength.
- Identify the phases of healing following tendon repair.
- Differentiate different protocols used in flexor tendon rehabilitation and extensor tendon rehabilitation.
Attendees earn 1 continuing education hour/0.1 CEU for this course.
Free to ASHT Members
The UE Institute is a complimentary, ASHT members-only benefit.
Rehabilitation of the Hand and Upper Extremity (6th ed.). Skirven, T. M., Osterman, A. L., Fedorczyk, J. M., Amadio, P. C. (Eds.). (2011). Philadelphia, PA: Mosby. ISBN: 978-0-323-05602-1
Review Chapters 1, 34, 35, 36, 38, 39
View Video 35-1: Zone II repair (S. Wolfe 2010)
View Video 35-3: Tendon exposure and retrieval (Strickland 2004)
View Video 35-3: Popular core sutures (Sandow 2004)
View Video 38-3: Extensor tendon anatomy and approaches (Zelouf 2004)
View Video 38-4: Extensor tendon repair in fingers (Newport 2004)
Note: The video is online content. When you access the book, “Rehabilitation of the Hand,” information on how to access the videos is located inside the cover.
Fundamentals of Hand Therapy (2nd ed.). Mosby. Cooper, C. (Ed.). (2014). St. Louis, MO.
Review Chapters 30, 31
Groth GN. “Clinical Decision Making and Therapists’ Autonomy in the Context of Flexor Tendon Rehabilitation”. Journal of Hand Therapy, July-Sept 2008, pp 254-259.
Sueoka SS and LaStayo PC. “Zone II Flexor Tendon Rehabilitation: A Proposed Algorithm”. Journal of Hand Therapy. October-December 2008, pp 410-413.
Evans RB. “Managing the Injured Tendon: Current Concepts”. Journal of Hand Therapy. April-June 2012, pp 173-189.