Every year, many talented, hard-working ASHT members help advance the hand therapy profession and patient care through volunteer service. We know you’re busy, but we encourage you to make time to get involved with ASHT. Participating in the society often returns unexpected dividends – improved leadership skills, connections with hand therapists all over the country and a better understanding of the issues facing hand therapists in an increasingly complex healthcare environment.
Available Leadership Positions
- Practice Division -- deadline to apply: August 15
- Blog Writer (Technology & Communication Committee)
- State Representative (Advocacy)
- Independent Finance Committee
- International Committee
The Practice Division provides resources and support for day-to-day practice issues and implements initiatives identified in the strategic plan. This division monitors industry, legislative and regulatory initiatives on both the federal and state level and informs the membership of the impact of these initiatives. This division provides resources for compliance with federal and state regulations and responds to member inquiries about compliance and reimbursement. This division advises the board on position papers regarding legislation and regulation.
- Tracks federal and state legislation
- Writes legislative alerts posted on ASHT website, Twitter or blog
- Writes quarterly summaries of current legislation impacting the practice of hand therapy for ASHT Times
- Responds to member questions about federal legislation
- Writes legislation summaries for posting on the Legislative Action Center, as well as template letters sent to legislators
- Carries out tasks assigned by the Practice Division Director
- Writes targeted communication to the membership of specific states regarding pending local legislation
Federal and State Regulations Committee
- Tracks, interprets and communicates regulatory changes in the Medicare and Medicaid programs including billing, credentialing, compliance, coding and quality reporting
- Develops member resources and responds to member inquiries about compliance and reimbursement through the e-Community or through ASHT Member Services
Practice Division members will serve a two-year term beginning at the 40th ASHT Annual Meeting (October 12, 2017) and ending at the 2019 Annual Meeting. Practice Division members will be current ASHT members in any membership category. To apply, please send your CV and committee-specific letter of interest to ASHT@asht.org by August 15, 2017.
Interested in being more involved with ASHT, but think you don’t have enough time? Considering volunteering as a blog writer!
ASHT members are writing blogs to share on ASSH's HandCare.org blog as part of our Advice from a Certified Hand Therapist series. Posts are typically 3-4 paragraphs and written in a Q&A format in lay language for patients to easily understand (example: FOOSH, Trigger Finger).
To volunteer, please sent a letter of interest and copy of your CV/resume to ASHT@asht.org.
If you or someone you know has the ability to understand financial operations of an organization, please consider applying to become a member of the ASHT Independent Finance Committee. Participants will gain unique insight into the operations of our professional membership organization.
The Independent Finance Committee develops and recommends to the Board of Directors those financial policies, plans and courses of action that provide for mission accomplishment and organizational financial well-being. Consistent with this responsibility, the Independent Finance Committee reviews the annual budget and submits the budget to the board for approval. Additionally, the Independent Finance Committee makes policy recommendations with regard to the level and terms of indebtedness, cash management, investment policy, risk management, financial monitoring and reports and other policies the committee determines are advisable for effective financial management.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Attend quarterly Independent Finance Committee conference calls (with three weeks' notice if a call is cancelled). Committee members are also invited to attend monthly Board of Directors conference calls to stay informed.
- Attend required conference calls during review of the annual audit (March) and budget (November)
- Review monthly financial report and make recommendations for necessary adjustments based on budgeted priorities
- Review quarterly investment report and make recommendations to the Board of Directors
- Review financial impact of proposals and contracts and make recommendations to the Board of Directors
Prospective candidates may include (but not limited to):
- CEO, CFO, MBA
- ASHT past president (excluding current immediate past president)
- ASHT member who owns a practice or is involved in business
- Healthcare professional with experience in finance
Note: Membership in ASHT is not a requirement to serve on the Independent Finance Committee.
Committee members will serve staggered two- or three-year terms. Committee members have the option to renew one additional term for the equal amount of years they currently serve.
To apply, please send a brief letter of interest and current version of your CV/resume to ASHT@asht.org.
ASHT is looking for a volunteer from each state to be our "eyes and ears" on the ground for local issues affecting hand therapy practice and reimbursement. If you are interested in serving as the local representative for your state, please contact the Practice Division at ASHT@asht.org.
The International Committee responds to member questions, moderates the international e-Community discussion group and conveys salient information. The committee also liaises with International Federation of Societies for Hand Therapy (IFSHT). ASHT is currently seeking volunteer leaders for two-year terms.
Participation in the International Committee is an excellent opportunity to network with other hand therapists from around the world on issues related to hand therapy practice. Therapists on the committee represent various regions of the United States and different types of practices, and can include therapists from around the world.
ASHT created the International Committee to support hand therapists interested in the worldwide community of hand therapy and wishing to work with international members and those who attend ASHT meetings and functions by:
- Producing resources for Annual Meeting attendees
- Organizing networking opportunities for international attendees
- Helping facilitate international speakers at the meeting
- Promoting participation of the international attendees (such as poster and research presentations)
- Developing additional forums for international members to benefit from their ASHT membership
- Participating in the international listserv
- Developing website resources for U.S. therapists wishing to volunteer and teach in other countries
- Exploring liaison roles with therapists from other countries
- Developing new ideas to further develop the relationship of U.S. ASHT members with international members and their colleagues
The IC seeks international ASHT members who meet the following criteria:
- High level of interest in international affairs and the global hand therapy community
- Experience with international therapy practices
- Regular access to computer, email and Internet
- Available to assist (1 to 2 hours a week)
- Able to meet at the Annual Meeting at own expense for interaction/networking with the international attendees
- Interest in working with other dynamic individuals as part of a team
- Willing to invest a two-year commitment as an IC member
To apply, please send your resume/CV and a paragraph explaining why you are interested in volunteering and how your strengths/experiences would make you a good candidate to ASHT@asht.org.
Volunteers are the heart of any organization.
Thank you for helping ASHT make a difference.