Hand Therapy Review Course
The ASHT Hand Therapy Review Course provides a comprehensive review of the evaluation and intervention processes pursued for typical diagnoses in upper extremity rehabilitation. Particular focus is placed on clinical reasoning, case discussion and evidence-based practice.
The course provides an opportunity for active learning and application of hand therapy principles to facilitate retention of presented information. The course also offers a structured study approach to upper extremity rehabilitation that may serve as a means to prepare for the CHT Exam.
The Hand Therapy Review Course will be offered twice in 2014. The courses will be held in the Spring and Late Summer or Early Fall.
2014 dates and locations for the Hand Therapy Review course are coming soon.
We are happy to accept requests to join the 2014 waitlist.
General Course Outline: Subject to Change
Day 1: Foundational Science of the Upper Extremity: An Anatomy and Kinesiology Review
A working knowledge of the anatomy and kinesiology of the upper extremity provides a solid foundation for therapeutic evaluation and intervention. Using classroom and cadaver lab components, this pre course will review the anatomy and biomechanics of each joint, examine the brachial plexus and innervation patterns of the arm and hand, and allow for guided review using upper quarter cadaveric specimens.
- To review the foundational science concepts which inform effective clinical decision-making and practice in upper extremity rehabilitation.
- To examine the biomechanical aspects of normal and abnormal motion as influenced by the musculoskeletal system of the upper extremity.
- To provide an opportunity for kinesthetic learning through examination of cadaveric specimens.
Days 2 & 3: Comprehensive Survey of Hand Therapy Review Course
This course is designed to provide a comprehensive review of the evaluation and intervention processes pursued for typical diagnoses in upper extremity rehabilitation. Advanced clinicians will employ fundamental concepts, clinical reasoning, and evidence to provide a multi-faceted approach to the hand therapy process. Adjunctive methods for intervention will be analyzed as a means to facilitate outcomes and expert panels will be offered throughout the weekend to allow a high level of attendee-faculty interaction via case discussion.
- To provide a comprehensive review of hand therapy practice with particular focus on clinical reasoning, case discussion, and evidence-based practice.
- To create an opportunity for active learning and application of hand therapy principles to facilitate retention of presented information.
- To offer a structured approach to the study of upper extremity rehabilitation that may serve as a means to prepare for the certified hand therapist exam.
Preparing for the CHT Exam?
The Mary Kasch Hand Therapy Certification Scholarship is a financial scholarship awarded to a well deserving occupational therapist or physical therapist preparing for the hand therapy certification examination.
Proudly supported by the Hand Therapy Tri-Alliance